The Flat-Coated Retriever Society of America, Inc. takes the health of its Flat-Coats very seriously. Health concerns for Flat-Coated Retrievers include cancer, hip dysplasia, and luxating patellas. The Sharon Myers Health Committee was organized in 1995 to improve the genetic health of Flat-Coated Retrievers. As a result of the committee's efforts, the FCRSA is taking several steps to improve the health of our breed.
Cancer Research Study Information
- Cancer Studies Support Team: Contact your cancer support team members.
- Cancer Research Studies: An overview for owners regarding research to study soft tissue sarcomas, including malignant histiocytosis in Flat-Coated Retrievers and Bernese Mountain Dogs.
- Veterinarian Information for Dr. Breen and Modiano Study (Hemangiosarcoma, Lymphoma and Osteosarcoma)
- Veterinarian Information for Dr. Ostrander Study (Malignant Histiocytosis/Histiocytic Sarcoma only)
- How You Can Help: Exactly that - how you can help with the FCRSA cancer studies.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Study Participation
- Cancer and Health Issues Contact Information: Contact information for current research sponsored by FCRSA and the Flat Coated Retriever Foundation.
- Dogs and Owners Who Have Made a Difference (pdf)
FCR DNA Bank at Animal Health Trust (AHT)
- Why You Should Participate (pdf)
- How to Participate (pdf)
- Consent Form (pdf)
- Health Update Form (pdf)
New Eye Clearance Registry
Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA)
- Information about PRA and the Flat-Coated Retriever - what you can do to help
- Free testing by Optigen for PRA affected dogs
AKC Canine Health Foundation
- 2007 National Parent Club Canine Health Conference Report (MS Word Document)
Additional Information on Cancer in Flat-Coats
- Being an Advocate for the Dog with Cancer: The purpose of this article is to offer tips and suggestions on how to manage the treatment of a dog with cancer.
- Questions to Ask Your Vet: Items to check after cancer diagnosis, emergency care and general considerations.
- Health Manual: This comprehensive online health manual contains papers devoted to the various cancers that predominate in our breed as well as orthopedic conditions, epilepsy, bloat and other major problems. It also includes articles by Dr. George Padgett and Jennie Willis which help explain how critical it is to apply genetic insights to breeding and purchasing decisions.
Other Health Information
- Sharon Myers Health Committee: Information about the committee's efforts to improve the health of the Flat-Coated Retriever.
- Sharon Myers Health Clearinghouse Form (PDF): Please fill out this form and help contribute to the FCRSA health database. Updates are published in the FCRSA Newsletter.
- OFA, Cardiac and Thyroid Reports: A summary of findings for 2006, 2001, 2000, 1999.
- CERF and Gonioscopy Reports: A summary of findings for 2002, 1999.
- Glaucoma in the Flat-Coated Retriever: A series of 3 articles by J.L.N.Wood discussing a serious emerging health problem. The Sharon Myers Health Committee encourages breeders to do gonioscopy eye evaluations on breeding stock.
- Dog First Aid: importance of basic first aid knowledge, references for dog first aid, and a list of essential items for a first aid kit.
- 2000 Specialty Health PowerPoint Presentation [MS 2000 PowerPoint] [HTML version]
- 2000 Health Survey Report [MS 2000 PowerPoint] [HTML version]